What should I do if I smell gas inside a building?
The following is a list of procedures to follow should you ever detect the smell of gas within your home or business.
Following these steps will help ensure your safety as well as others.
- Do not turn on or off any electrical switches or devices.
- Extinguish all open flames. Do not use matches, cigarettes, or lighters.
- Leave the building immediately. Open doors and windows as you exit the building.
- Evacuate to a safe distance.
- Call emergency 911 and/or Bangor Gas Company at (207) 941-9595 or 1-877-427-7911.
- Provide Emergency 911 and/or Bangor Gas Company with:
- i. Your name and call back number
- ii. The address or location of reported gas odor
- iii. Description of where the odor is detected, for example, in the kitchen, outside by the gas meter, etc…